This is my pc:
( windows 95 OSR2 with updated comctl,usb,msdun etc.. )
( Directx 7.0a, Directx Media 6)
- Epox P2-133a motherboard (133mhz bus, AGP 2x)
- Pentium II 400 Mhz (not celeron)
- 256 MB SDRAM pc-100 (100mhz)
- 10.8 Gb Fujitsu UDMA33 hard disk
- Sound Blaster PCI 128 4spk
- Hitachi DVD 4x etc..
- VIDEO CARD:
I currently have an S3 Trio3D/2X LC2X, (AGP 2x, 4MB)
I have found this information about my card:
The S3 Trio3D/2X (LC2X) integrated 3D video/graphics accelerator and support either 2X (133MHz) or 1X (66MHz) AGP pipeline DMA mode for high 3D rendering performance. By bus mastering texture data at over twice the speed of convention PCI buses, AGP DMA reduces the amount of CPU overhead while improving 3D rendering performance. Especially the enhanced S3d Engine provides improved 2D acceleration for excellent Windows application performance and a full-feature high-performance 3D rendering for realistic user experience in games and other interactive 3D applications. The S3 Trio3D/2X supports S3 Streams Processor technology features such as vertical interpolation and color controls for high quality video playback. It allow simultaneous display of graphic and video of different color depths. This save memory bandwith and storage capacity while permitting higher frame rates.
Integrated 2D/3D graphics and Video Accelerator
¨ 64-bit 2D/3D graphics engine
¨ Memory clock up to 100MHz of SGRAM/SDRAM
¨ Integrate 230MHz RAMDAC with gamma correction
¨ 133MHz AGP support
¨ 66MHz AGP pipeline DMA mode
S3d Graphics Engine
¨ High performance 2D engine acceleration
¨ Flat and Gouraud shading for 3D
¨ High quality 3D texture mapping
¨ Perspective correction
¨ Bi-linear and tri-linear texture filtering
¨ MIP-Mapping, depth cueing, fogging, alpha blending
¨ Video texture mapping
S3 Stremms Processor Technology
¨ Supports on-the-fly stretching and blending of primary RGB stream and RGB or YUV (video) sceondary stream
¨ Each stream can have different colors depths
¨ High-quality video playback with horizotal and vertical interpolation
¨ Brightness, hue, saturation controls
Full Software Support
¨ Driver for major operating system and APIS. [Windows 95/98, Window NT (4.0/5.0-ICD)]
¨ Bundle with software media player of CDWizard
Green PC/Monitor Plug and Play Support
¨ DPMS monitor power saving modes support
¨ DDC monitor communications
With it, I can play i.e.
- MDK in Direct3D mode and it's quite good..
- Motoracer in D3D mode, speed is great but many
things such as trees and smoke are a black square
since the card doesn't support transparencies
- UNREAL in SOFTWARE mode at 800x600 (with a few options
like coronas, shiny surfaces etc) .. playable
in D3D mode there are a few bugs..
- QUAKE2 at 800x600 in software mode is ok
- PSEMU PRO (psx emulator) with software renderer
(kazzuya) doesn't work bad.. the speed is not
so bad and graphics are about 70% ok
- BLEEM (psx emu) .. software mode.. ok D3D mode doesn't work..
- IMPACT (emu) playable is soft. mode
- N64 emu's .. really slow and totally unplayable
- Tomb Raider 3 .. software mode only.. at 640x480, a bit slow
- Carmageddon II in software mode only (32x240), Direct 3D mode
at 640x480 is really slow..
- Final Fantasy 7 in 640x480.. is playable..
- Quake3 - not tested yet
ok, I want to buy a 3D card to be able to play all those
games and new ones in 3dfx or glide or whatever of those
modes with High Resolution and all the features etc..
- 1st question: is the 3D card a normal card ? I mean
does it have Screen output ? I mean, will it replace
my current video card or is it just an add to the system ?
- 2nd will the 3d card be better in all aspects than
my current card ? my card is AGP 2x ..
- 3rd in case the 3d card will replace the main one..
can I have them both in my system and *switch* them
when I want ? (win95 osr2)
These are the cards from which I'm gonna choose:
VGA COLOR MAX 16MB S3 SAVAGE4 3D AGP - Around 50 us$
VGA S3 SAVAGE 4 32 Mb. AGP - Around 73 us$
VGA COLOR MAX 32MB M64 RIVA TNT2 AGP - Around 80 us$
VGA COLOR MAX 32MB SYS300 LIFE300 AGP - Around 96 us$
VGA ATI XPERT 2000 32Mb.. AGP - Around 90 us$
VGA MATROX G-400 16Mb.. AGP - Around 104 us$
I can't spend much than that on the card..
so.. what's your advice ?