Strange Dial Up Networking problem
Posted on 2000-05-18
First the basics, then the gory details...
I connect to any of my dial up networking entries to get on the 'net. It connects and authenticates me as a user, but I am unable to browse the web. If I know the exact IP address of something I can ping it or tracert it and get a response, but I can't do any browsing since it seems like DNS is totally not working. Same behavior for 3 different ISP's.
The gory details:
-After my nephew had been playing games on my computer for a few days, I attempted to connect to the Internet. When I did, I got a message that said "Dial Up Networking info in the registry is corrupt, you need to reboot to fix this". I rebooted several times, but I would still get the same message.
-Uninstalled then reinstalled Dial Up Networking. The registry message went away, but I couldn't browse (see "the basics" behavior above).
-Removed all IP and dialup networking entries from my network properties, added them back in again. Same behavior.
-Tried variations of these last two steps several times. Save behavior.
-Gave up. Used internet connection at work to submit this question.