Solved

CD loaded but device not ready or locked

Posted on 2001-06-11
3
132 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-28
On certain audio cds I wish to play on my computer, I get a message box that comes up and says that the device is not ready and/or the device is locked. But like 90% of the time, the cds I want to play work fine. And the other 10% of the time, I try to play those cds on my mother's computer and they play just fine. What is the cause of this and how do I fix it? I obviously know that the cds can be read on computers, just not mine.
0
Comment
Question by:lazypinkmonkey
3 Comments
 

Accepted Solution

by:
jhawklyn earned 30 total points
ID: 6177908
I've seen the same.   Some CD-Players aren't as good at reading borderline quality media cd's.

- Gently Cleaning the CD's will sometimes solve the problem.

- I've heard of tools to remove the scratches from CD's.  I've never tried that, but I'd assume they would work.

- Cleaning the CD player (blow out the any dust) might do the trick.  (I had a Quad speed CD-Burner that gradually lost it's abilties.   A good cleaning restored 'em)

- A last resort would be to replace the CD unit itself.

I'm assuming with my responses above that the problem is reproducable with the same set of CD's.   A similar problem can occur when changing from one CD media type to the other, (say switching from a game to music).  Sometimes the computer get's confused, or 'forgets' the disks were changed.   Shutdown-restart virtually always clears up this flavor of the problem.

John
0
 

Author Comment

by:lazypinkmonkey
ID: 6179791
I tried cleaning my cd rom and the specific cds but that didn't help at all. And I have the new TDK velocd cd-rom, not the factory installed cd-rom. If anyone else has any suggestions or answers, please help me out. Thanks.
0
 
LVL 13

Expert Comment

by:gonzal13
ID: 6184300
Ok< now the manufacturer recommends certain brand of CDs and also their capacity ranging from 65o to 800. Some units will not accept 800 mgs and some manufacturers. For example my Ricoh which is about 4 years old will accept 700 megs, but not 800. The manufacturer does NOT recommend for that particular unit MEMOREX as being inconsistant in quality. So check with the manufacturer first.
0

Featured Post

Announcing the Most Valuable Experts of 2016

MVEs are more concerned with the satisfaction of those they help than with the considerable points they can earn. They are the types of people you feel privileged to call colleagues. Join us in honoring this amazing group of Experts.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Black Berry Link fails to start 4 28
Problem to file 5 29
Cannot take ownership of a folder 8 44
How do I make a bootable windows flash drive? 11 58
Our Group Policy work started with Small Business Server in 2000. Microsoft gave us an excellent OU and GPO model in subsequent SBS editions that utilized WMI filters, OU linking, and VBS scripts. These are some of experiences plus our spending a lo…
Possible fixes for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 updating problem. Solutions mentioned are from Microsoft themselves. I started a case with them from our Microsoft Silver Partner option to open a case and get direct support from Microsoft. If s…
With the advent of Windows 10, Microsoft is pushing a Get Windows 10 icon into the notification area (system tray) of qualifying computers. There are many reasons for wanting to remove this icon. This two-part Experts Exchange video Micro Tutorial s…
This is used to tweak the memory usage for your computer, it is used for servers more so than workstations but just be careful editing registry settings as it may cause irreversible results. I hold no responsibility for anything you do to the regist…

860 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question