okay, i have a drive containing only application files (ms office, ms money, visual studio, messenger etc.)
on win 2k prof. w/ sp2. - windows on one drive, apps on another (drive for apps seemingly dead)
the drive gets locked in these clicking sounds (click, click, click) when it starts up... it clicks about 5 times, stops, then starts again, as if the head cannot get positioned right. i am assuming the drive is dead, but the data is still there.
so, here are my questions:
1) is there any way to retrieve the data on the drive and mirror/copy it to a new drive? or does it sound dead for life? if there is a way... who/how/what?
2) if i boot up into win 2k w/ a new drive, how should i re-install my applications:
a. should i just install them normally
b. try to remove them from "add/remove applications", remove any references in registry and start menu shortcuts, then install them
c. just try to remove whatever i can from "add/remove applications", then install them
the reason i have several choices here is because i am worried that installing the applications again will corrput/damage my registry and any other settings... becuase as far as windows is concerned, the applications are installed, just not there!
- will it create duplicates in the registry? if so, how do i repair?
- what other problems could i face by re-installing "already installed" applications on a new drive?
- does win 2k have a repair tool for installed applications so it will know what is missing and install appropriately in right locations?
the new drive will have the same drive letter as the old one... applications will be installed in same folders.
please read this question thoroughly before answering... i want thorough/clear answers. thanks!