I'm interested in purchasing a gamers PC in the next month. I've amassed questions in regards to the endless terminologies encountered and I hope you can answer a few for me.
- What is the difference between an AMD Duron 900 and Thunderbird 900?
- I've heard that an AMD Thunderbird 900MHZ would be ideal for PC gaming but to look out for a decent motherboard for it. People have suggested ASUS A7V and ABIT. What should I look for in a motherboard so that I can identify it as a decent mobo for a TBird 900MHZ for highend PC gaming? For starters, someone suggested 200MHZ FSB.
- I've seen the motherboard Asus A7V133 200/266MHZ. What is this 200/266 MHZ? I've also seen 133/266 and at times I've just seen Asus A7V-E 200MHZ FSB (what happened to the slash? Does this mean 200/200?).
- I've heard that a CPU that is overclocked can lead to spontatenous crashes. How is one able to tell whether a TBird 800MHZ + is being overclocked ?
- I've seen the spec 4x2x24 for an HP CDRW drive. What does this spec mean? I know it represents Read, Write, and ReWrite but in what order? Is the drive capable of writing at 1x (For my old P133 PC I have to write at 1x to get burning to work properly)?
- For PC cases that house the motherboard and drives of the computer. If I were to purchase any old motherboard am I able to purchase any old case for it? That is, are all cases capable of housing any motherboard and drive as a one size houses all? Is the case's power supply WATTS important to note or is 250W, that I've seen standard, fine for all situations?
- AMD Athlon, Thunderbid, and K7. Are these just synonyms for a thunderbird CPU?
- Is it still useful to have an ISA slot on the mother board or has ISA been completely phased out by PCI hardware? I've noticed most highend mobos don't have ISA slots.
- How many PCI slots, minimum, should a decent motherboard have?
- I've seen 20 Gig ATA100 Hard drives. What is ATA100?
- A motherboard: Asus A7A Socket A DDR/SDR 266 FSB - $259 CAN. What is DDR/SDR? Is this important for a Thunderbird 900 MHZ? I suspect SDR is SDRAM.
- How many USB ports, minimum, should a decent motherboard have?
I'm leaning towards:
AMD Thunderbird 900MHZ
Asus A7V-E Mobo?
Geforce2 Pro Videocard
128 Megs Ram
20 Gig HD (5400 RPM?)
16 Bit Sound card (Generic - cheap)
It should cost around $800 CAN ($600 PC from a dealer + $200 for the Geforce 2Pro) after taxes, I hope. If you can suggest a better setup let me know.