[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now


Setting up mailertables

Posted on 2001-07-26
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-12-17
I am trying to set up mailertables with only some luck.

What I have is a host on my DMZ which will receive all mail for 2 domains and then redirect the mail internaly to the correct mailserver based upon the original domain the mail was sent to.

I set up a mailertable file like this:
domain1.com smtp:[host2.domain1.com]
domain2.com smtp:[host3.domain1.com]

The machine on the DMZ in called host1.domain1.com.

I was using sendmail -d38.4 -bs to trace what was happening and I saw this:

When I typed in mail from:louis@domain1.com it looks this up in the mailertable and excepts the mail.

When I typed in rcpt to:john@domain2.com it does not lookup the domain in the mailertable but does except the user.

After typing in some data it then lookes up domain2.com (using mx) and makes a conversation to the host.

Why is it not looking up domain2.com in the mailertable and just sending it to host3.domain1.com???

I do not have anything in my aliases file (I do not want to receive mail locally for anyone).

Question by:masteryoda

Accepted Solution

markt9 earned 600 total points
ID: 6325177
Did you makemap that mailertable and restart sendmail?  Have a look at http://www.garg.com/bob/sendmail/ for some more clues

Author Comment

ID: 6326208
This was not the problem.  Actualy the problem was that text maps are broken in 8.11 of sendmail.  I switched to dbm and all works fine now.

However, since you provided so many other good suggestions on your web page I will give you the points.

Thanks a lot,

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

As tax season makes its return, so does the increase in cyber crime and tax refund phishing that comes with it
Steps to fix “Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1108)”.
Familiarize people with the process of retrieving data from SQL Server using an Access pass-thru query. Microsoft Access is a very powerful client/server development tool. One of the ways that you can retrieve data from a SQL Server is by using a pa…
In this video we show how to create a User Mailbox in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Recipients >> Mailb…
Suggested Courses

834 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question