Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 440
  • Last Modified:

"The name could not be resolved" in Outlook 2000

I've recently set up Exchange 2000. I've set up some test accounts, and they work fine using OWA. However, when I try to add Exchange as a service into Outlook 2000 clients, I get the "The name  could not be resolved..." message. It works ok for the Administrator account, - it resolves the Server name etc, but can't seem to see any other accounts.

Any suggestions welcome!
0
proneill
Asked:
proneill
1 Solution
 
degreaCommented:
Search for the Host file on the WK PC's, edit it and remove the .SAM ext, enter the exchange server IP and reboot the WK

Hope this helps
0
 
pc-tonyCommented:
When you add a user name and click Check Name.
It checks these credentials against both the Surname and Alias name fields.  If your sure you have the right info in this box.
Then make sure that the Mailboxes are not hidden mailboxes, as these cannot be listed, until they're unhidden, and added to the Outlook client.
The other possible reason is that you have created Custom Recipients.

Check to see if these help.
If not email me at     tony@pc-tony.com

Regards,
Tony
0
 
proneillAuthor Commented:
I don't think it's a host file problem because I can resolve one mailbox (the administrator one). I've checked mailbox permissions and they seem ok. Even using OWA it can only seem to find the administrator's mailbox. I've tried the MS KB suggestions (q268754 and q257885).

Thanks for your suggestions so far! (pc-tony - I'm not sure what custom recipients are).
0
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
proneillAuthor Commented:
Solved!
I tried setting up a new address list with some filter rules and that seems to have solved the problem. I rather assumed that it would use some sort of default global address list.
0
 
bruintjeCommented:
Hello proneill

this question is open for more then 2 months
time to clean up
if not stated otherwise

my recom will be
-PAQ and refund
-this will be finalized by an EE Moderator
-with no further update (15.09.2002)

PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT THIS COMMENT AS ANSWER

HAGD:O)Bruintje
posted by ToolzEE v1.0
0
 
proneillAuthor Commented:
This turned out to be a latency issue. Once the recipient update service has worked it's ok.
0
 
JgouldCommented:
Question has been closed as per recommendation

JGould-EE Moderator
0

Featured Post

NEW Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 1.5

With Office 365, it’s your data and your responsibility to protect it. NEW Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 eliminates the risk of losing access to your Office 365 data.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now