Licensing Issue for OCX
Posted on 2001-08-14
I have created a large OCX that is basically a user interface. I had to do this so I could use it in my own shell and so that another developer could use it too. There are many, many pieces to this OCX, and the install program for it was obnoxious. In order to get it to the other developer, I gave hims a "stub," an interface really; all of the properties and methods are there, but no code. The non-intrinsic controls were removed for simplicity's sake. When a customer gets his shell, we'll just "upgrade" the OCX to the functional version without making the other developer recompile his code... at least that was the plan. When I try it from an NT station (not the development computer), I get the error message:
"You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality."
(Wouldn't it be nice if it told me what wanted the license and what functionality it's denying me? *sigh*)
I got a test development computer and made a simple shell to test and got the same results.
On the computer that's giving the error message, my shell program with my complete OCX is installed and working fine - so the OCX is not missing a dll or whatever.
Also, I tried it on a Windows 2000 machine and got a different error message:
"License Agreement Error
File LICENSE.DAT not found. License agreement cannot be completed."
I know that I used some purchased controls in my OCX, but I've gone through them all and installed them on the test development machine, and I still get the errors. I include all the components and references that are in the real developement environment, and get the same problem.
Thanks for your time