I have a network running in mixed NT4 and W2K, with NT4 domain controllers.
My current print server, a Dell 4400 with 1GB of RAM and a P-3 933, is also the file server. I have moved the spool/print directory onto the E: drive; the server has 3 36GB disks on RAID 5 partitioned into 8GB C: and 64GB E:.
I have DLC protocol installed and have installed HP's WebJetAdmin version 6.2. There are 5 printers managed by this server: 2 HP 4000, an HP 4M, an HP Color LaserJet 5M, and an HP 4500 Color LaserJet.
Our LAN is 10MB to the desktop. The servers have 100MB between each other using a 3Com SuperStack II 3300, downgraded to 10MB on the desktops.
Users have intermittent printing problems where jobs submitted to the printer are lost or don't come out for a number of hours. This is typically printing on Outlook or Word. Large jobs, created by Acrobat, tie up the printer continually reprinting pages until jobs are killed.
I suspected the various HP DOS printer attacks, but since I have to print mainframe screens I cannot disable the HP printer gateways.
We started having this problem on our LAN with our old NT4 print server. We migrated it to the W2K file server and gradually accumulated the problems described above. Switching printing back to another NT4 box failed entirely -- users could not add printers unless they had Admin priveleges, and could not print without Domain Admin Privileges (I did not lock down those boxes particularly!)
This is an ongoing puzzler ...