Solved

Memo field on a report -- doesn't "grow" enough

Posted on 2001-08-22
6
685 Views
Last Modified: 2013-11-28
I have an ms access report with a text box that is linked to data of type memo. I have set the can grow property to yes. The actual data ranges from a vbnullstring length to 1176 characters.

When the report generates, the text box field that is linked to the memo field in the underlying table will not grow large enough to display more than 255 characters. Consequently, the longer memo fields are truncated, rendering their information useless. Is there a way to make the field grow to display the entire text of the memo field?
0
Comment
Question by:pflugg
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 6

Expert Comment

by:devtha
ID: 6414365
I TRIED WITH 1462 CHAR IT WORKS FINE...
0
 

Author Comment

by:pflugg
ID: 6414387
Is the control on the report you're using just a text box? I thought it had worked for me in the past, but it's truly cutting off at 255 char with this report.
0
 
LVL 6

Accepted Solution

by:
devtha earned 50 total points
ID: 6414397
I viewd the field list and added the field from it directly. Try it that way.
0
Ransomware-A Revenue Bonanza for Service Providers

Ransomware – malware that gets on your customers’ computers, encrypts their data, and extorts a hefty ransom for the decryption keys – is a surging new threat.  The purpose of this eBook is to educate the reader about ransomware attacks.

 

Expert Comment

by:dbfc
ID: 22325430
I have an identical problem.  I tried dragging the field from the field list but it is still being cut off at 255 chars.
0
 
LVL 6

Expert Comment

by:devtha
ID: 22326692
try exporting the report and importing it back. Sometimes a corruption in the report could be responsible.
Take a back up of your Access MdB first
0
 

Expert Comment

by:dbfc
ID: 22327238
I found the reason for the truncation in another thread.  The textboxes were being truncated because the source query contained an aggregate function.
Thanks
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

It’s been over a month into 2017, and there is already a sophisticated Gmail phishing email making it rounds. New techniques and tactics, have given hackers a way to authentically impersonate your contacts.How it Works The attack works by targeti…
Did you know that more than 4 billion data records have been recorded as lost or stolen since 2013? It was a staggering number brought to our attention during last week’s ManageEngine webinar, where attendees received a comprehensive look at the ma…
Familiarize people with the process of utilizing SQL Server views from within Microsoft Access. Microsoft Access is a very powerful client/server development tool. One of the SQL Server objects that you can interact with from within Microsoft Access…
Add bar graphs to Access queries using Unicode block characters. Graphs appear on every record in the color you want. Give life to numbers. Hopes this gives you ideas on visualizing your data in new ways ~ Create a calculated field in a query: …

689 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question