Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 1125
  • Last Modified:

locate method on ADODataset

Hi,

I have a filtered ADODataset and Im calling the locate method on it. I am finding that the method is not working consistently - sometimes it returns TRUE even when I know a record does not exist. I also get the BOF or EOF error when calling locate on an empty dataset. I have applied the ADO update patch for Delphi 5 and still get the quirky behaviour.

Any feedback or tips regarding using locate on a filtered adodataset will be welcomed.

0
benjvr
Asked:
benjvr
1 Solution
 
Stuart_JohnsonCommented:
Hi benjvr,

This seems to be a problem that has occured with ADO since day one.  I've never got it to work consistently.  I just use the standard TTable instead.  That works fine.

Stu
0
 
Mohammed NasmanSoftware DeveloperCommented:
Hello
 
  locate working fine with me, which database you are using?

  and try to filter ur data using SQL (from commandtext property) instead of filter property, and try that again

Best regards
Mohammed Nasman
0
 
Mohammed NasmanSoftware DeveloperCommented:
I mean by using SQL using where clause in the commandtext property)

 ADODataSet1.CommandText := 'select * from customers where city = "anycity"';
  ADODataSet1.Open;
0
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
CrazyOneCommented:
Yeah ADO locate doesn't work consistently for me either using MS Access, mainly on text fields.


The Crazy One
0
 
Stuart_JohnsonCommented:
Hi Mohammed,

It does work, but not all the time.  Sometimes the result will return false even when we know that the locate should work.  It's not reliable enough to be get a constant result.

I've only tried it from MS Access 97, 2000 and SQL Server 7.0.  It may work fine with other DBs.

Cheers!

Stu.

PS.  Sorry benjvr - I guess it sounds like I'm hogging the question, but it's not intentional.  I'm just adding my thoughts in as we both seem to be having the same problem.
0
 
Stuart_JohnsonCommented:
Just a thought, I heard a while ago that ADO Express (the standard version shipped with D5) was buggy.  Have you upgraded your ADO Express at all (available to download from Borlands website)?  Also, installing MDAC 2.5+ maybe an advantage.

When I was developing an MTS component, I had all sorts of problems with ADO Express.  I ended up importing the ADO type library (\program files\common files\system\ado) and used that.  It takes a bit longer to code around, but it stopped all the errors!!

Cheers,

Stu.
0
 
omavidenizCommented:
It is a bug in the Locate method.

Here you can find a good and free component which corrects this bug and others:
http://web.orbitel.bg/vassil/
0
 
Stuart_JohnsonCommented:
Seeing as though this question has been posted in again, I might ask the benjvr if he has solved the problem, or if any of our suggestions have worked.  I'm still standing by my orginal post.

Stu.
0
 
geobulCommented:
No comment has been added lately, so it's time to clean up this TA.
I will leave a recommendation in the Cleanup topic area that this question is:

accept Stuart Johnson's comment as answer

Please leave any comments here within the next seven days.

PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT THIS COMMENT AS AN ANSWER!

Thanks,

geobul
EE Cleanup Volunteer
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now