We help IT Professionals succeed at work.


lewis_loo asked
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2012-03-15
I am dealing problem of idea usng Photoshop

I have problem here. How to make a realistic picture (self portrait) from the picture and I make the effects so that the person looks like 80 years old (original is about 18-20 years old)

Is there any website that discuss about this effect? (include the step-by-step tutorial) tell me the website

Watch Question

I really doubt there are any tutorials for this. There are no "lick 'em and stick 'em" plugins, layer effects, etc etc. It's a complex task of artistically modifying a photo and that requires a great deal of skill, perception and plain old talent. If i were to do it i would require at least 8 hours of time and I would use the airbrush tool to add in wrinkles etc etc. It's by no means a simple task and very very few people can do it.

I agree there are no quick solutions to this question.  Most likely you would need to use a combination of painting and various effects to acheive the "elderly" look of your portrait.  However, there are a couple of quick things you can do if you aren't looking for a masterpiece.

Changing the hair color to gray is fairly simple.  Use the lasso tool to carefully outline the subject's hair and eyeybrows.  Then adjust the contrast/brightness and color levels to convert the hair color to the gray color you desire.

You can use the smudge tool to manipulate the person's face. If you do it carefully, you can create sagging facial features, bags under the eyes, etc that will make your subject look aged.  

Use the airbrush tool or a combination of "add noise" and "blur" effects to add an age-spotted look to the subject's skin.

These techniques will not produce a masterpiece, but it may be enough for what you're trying to accomplish.

I am new to EE, and I just realized that posting an "answer" closes the question to other experts.  I didn't mean to do that.  Sorry for the mistake.  I meant my response to be a comment.  It is not the only solution to the question.  If there is a way to retract the answer or change it to "comment" status, let me know.
Welcome to EE, msmcall.  I have helped move this back to the Open Question queue, and thank weed for requesting this assistance.

The Help Desk link on the left is filled with great information in terms of the various processes at this site.  If ever you need our help to fix things like erroneously proposing an answer or other site-related help, just post a zero point question in Community Support with the link to the question.

Thanks all,
EE Moderator

Thanks for the help Weed and Moondancer.


ADMINISTRATION WILL BE CONTACTING YOU SHORTLY.  Moderators Computer101 or Netminder will return to finalize these if still open in seven days.  Please post closing recommendations before that time.

Question(s) below appears to have been abandoned. Your options are:
1. Accept a Comment As Answer (use the button next to the Expert's name).
2. Close the question if the information was not useful to you, but may help others. You must tell the participants why you wish to do this, and allow for Expert response.  This choice will include a refund to you, and will move this question to our PAQ (Previously Asked Question) database.  If you found information outside this question thread, please add it.
3. Ask Community Support to help split points between participating experts, or just comment here with details and we'll respond with the process.
4. Delete the question (if it has no potential value for others).
   --> Post comments for expert of your intention to delete and why
   --> YOU CANNOT DELETE A QUESTION with comments; special handling by a Moderator is required.

For special handling needs, please post a zero point question in the link below and include the URL (question QID/link) that it regards with details.
Please click the Help Desk link on the left for Member Guidelines, Member Agreement and the Question/Answer process for further information, if needed.  http://www.experts-exchange.com/jsp/cmtyHelpDesk.jsp

Click you Member Profile to view your question history and keep them all current with updates as the collaboration effort continues, to track all your open and locked questions at this site.  If you are an EE KnowledgePro user, use the Power Search option to find them.  Anytime you have questions which are LOCKED with a Proposed Answer but does not serve your needs, please reject it and add comments as to why.  In addition, when you do grade the question, if the grade is less than an A, please add a comment as to why.  This helps all involved, as well as future persons who may access this item in the future to seek help.

To view your open questions, please click the following link(s) and keep them all current with updates.

------------>  EXPERTS:  Please leave your closing recommendations if this item remains inactive another seven (7) days.  If you are interested in the cleanup effort, please click this link http://www.experts-exchange.com/jsp/qManageQuestion.jsp?ta=commspt&qid=20274643 
POINTS FOR EXPERTS awaiting comments are listed here -> http://www.experts-exchange.com/commspt/Q.20277028.html

Moderators will finalize this question if still open in 7 days, by either moving this to the PAQ (Previously Asked Questions) at zero points, deleting it or awarding expert(s) when recommendations are made, or an independent determination can be made.  Expert input is always appreciated to determine the fair outcome.
Thank you everyone.
Moderator @ Experts Exchange
I would find several images of elderly people and through layering and transparencies, superimpose various traits and clone droopy eyelids, that type of thing.
Zero response, finalized.
Moondancer - EE Moderator

Explore More ContentExplore courses, solutions, and other research materials related to this topic.