Posted on 2002-03-13
I have customer who has a HP Vectra VL800 system with windows 2k. It was working fine until he tried to install the creative sound blaster software. This seemed to go through fine until it said at the end of the install that it would need to restart. The system promptly hung at this point.
- It left him with an egg-timer instead of a mouse cursor but the system had to be turned off and on again.
- When the system loads windows, it seems to boot up as normal - the system tray has all of the icons up to a point and then they all disappear, including the time as it settles.
- Then when we move the mouse pointer over the top of the taskbar, it turns into an eggtimer. Apart from this the system works fine.
- We have tried removing the software through add/remove programs but the soundblaster live software will not go away. Then the PC locks straight after we try to remove it.
- Device Manager does not show any problems.
If this was Windows 98 I am fairly sure I could resolve this problem straight away using 'msconfig', but I don't know of the best way to fix this problem in win2k.
Thanks a million for all your help