I posted this question a while back however didn't manage to get a fix then, hoping that someone can help me out now. Here's all the info I have, please post suggestions/comments in the previous question:
I've had this problem for a long time now, I think it happened when I installed some video codecs/video
editing software. Basically when I play ANY MPEGs in Windows Media Player they play, and I get sound but no picture/video at ALL!
However, when I play them in anything else such as Quicktime or VirtualDub I get both picture and sound (work fine) probably because these applications use their own codecs and not the Windows system codecs.
I was using Windows 98 SE and then I upgraded to XP Pro, thinking it may solve the problem, but it didn't.
Please could someone help or let me know where I could maybe get the MPEG codec so I can re-install it. I have looked in tons of places for the codec however it doesn't seem to even exist. I found a package from MS which was named WMP codecs, however even this made no difference.
Could anyone even help by indentifying the windows system files (dll's, ocx's, etc) which actually ARE the MPEG video codec, that windows uses to play video mpeg. Replacing theses and obviously re-registering them and even the relevent registry entries aswell would probably solve this problem.
I know that re-installing Windows completely will probably fix it, but I really don't want to do
this and I'm sure there must be another way round it.
I must have posted this problem on loads of forums/help sites (over 20+) however still no-one could help. I'm thinking that the developers or Divx must have an extremely advanced knowledge of windows system codecs and how they work together (using similar dll's etc).
I have noticed in Device Manager there is an option to display the codecs, however this is much the same as any other machine which works fine, plus this doesn't give much information either. I have tried using an application to monitor WMP as it loads and then plays an MPEG video, to see which system files it accesses and loads to try and guess where I could replace "damaged" system files, however this has produced a massive log (hundreds of pages long).