We will be upgrading all our Win98SE PC's (Sun/Novell network) to either Win2K Pro or XP Pro. Goal is to move from an fairly unstable OS to a more stable one. We range from 400MHz era-PC to 1.7GHz PCs.
A starting point could be to upgrade a few problem PCs (rather than a clean install) to test. Some internally favor 2000, some XP. Looking for advice, white papers, URL references, etc. Willing to raise points.
(1) Is it true there is no upgrade (vs clean install) path to XP, only to Win2K?
(2) Have had some challenges setting up profiles and related network administration on a Win2K network. Is XP pro significantly different for network administration than 2000?
(3) Is there an upcoming service pack for either we should wait for before testing?
(4) Security concerns with XP being newer .. should we wait for future problems to come to light?
(5) XP has more "user friendly" error messages, some say. Comments?
(6) Is non "Pro" version an option?