Migrating from HPUX to Solaris
Posted on 2002-04-08
We are in the process of moving our server from HP to Sun. In our current server, we have a lot of applications running including Oracle. I am in charge of moving the applications and testing them. We will be moving the development server first and then the production server. The SAs will move the users and user directories to the new server. We need to install all the software.
My questions are:
1. What is the best way to go about this?
2. Some of our colleagues are suggesting creating the same applications on the new server with a different name. Like, Oracle database will be called ORA_NEW. Is this the best way to go about it? I thought that, we can move as ORA itself. The issues here are, we need to change all our scripts to the new server and when we move that to production, we need to change them back.
3. Any specific issues as we are moving frm HPUX to Solaris?
4. Any pointers to some whitepapers/documents on the web for such moves?
5. I was voting for a day downtime and move all the applications to production. But they want to have a minimal downtime.
If you have done similar projects, please share your knowledge.