Why is my DOS app so slow?
Posted on 2002-04-18
We use a DOS program (MV90) over a Novell (v5) network. While we had Win95 PCs, MV90 ran fast. Edits to network data files were very fast. Recently, some of those PCs were replaced with Win2000 PCs. MV90 runs slow on those PCs. Edits to those same data files on the network are sometimes mind-numbingly slow. In fact, maintenance and daily reports are so slow that employees can go for a cup of coffee, read the front page of the newspaper, chat with a co-worker, and surf the internet before the reports finally print. (Well, maybe not _that_ slow.)
1. What can we do to speed things up?
2. Is there a setting somewhere?
1. Upgrading to the Windows version of this app is not an option.
2. Changing the network configuration won't happen anytime soon. The next opportunity to change the network OS is at least six months away and probably won't happen.
3. Changing the new PCs' OS is practically forbidden by our IT department.
4. We've looked at installing more coffee machines, but we already have problems getting the person who took the last serving to refill the pot.
If you need more information, please ask.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated!
I will post multiple awards if necessary.