Hi there, I need to use XP (primarily for remote diagnostics) but don't want to get rid of win98SE just yet. I decided to implement a dual boot system, but as I have no direct experience of this it makes me a little edgy. I would be very grateful if you could answer these preparatory questions:
1) Providing I install XP after win98 is there any problem in putting XP on my D drive. Am I right in thinking the MBR (stored on the primary partition) will indicate to the boot manager where the respective installations are stored – allowing me to choose at startup
2) If I install XP on a separate drive (or partition) will they function as entirely separate installations and not throw up any conflicts
3) Providing I use the same file system I understand that there is no problem sharing files between operating systems. What is the situation with programs though? Would I need to reinstall any programs that have dll’s in my original system folder (eg office) – or could I just drag shorcut’s over from my c-drive. Also would I just be able to redirect outlook express (and outlook) to the relevant dbx and pst files and share mail and outlook resources between installations.
4) if I reformat and reinstall c – will it erase the master boot record and render the second installation (XP) unusable
5) Is there any way to revert afterwards, removing XP from the second drive and returning completely to a conventional boot up situation