After installing the 1.4.0 jre/plugin the only way I can get applets to work properly is to move the mouse cursor over the applet. Once I do that all is ok but if I do not the browser just hangs loading the applet or does not completely paint the applet. I have tried this with IE6 and Netscape 6.2. I also have tried it on other computers that were working fine with 1.3 but after installing 1.4.0 the same problem occurs.
This seems to happen even on simple example applets.
I have the plugin installed.
The applet viewer has the same problem.
I also installed the 1.4.0 runtime / plugin on a seperate pc that was working just fine before (loading test applets of various sites) that after the install has the same problem.
Note that pc and mine are both w2k sp2.
I just generated a very simple awt applet and added the following paint code.
public void paint(Graphics g)
// Set the applet background to white
// now draw the outlines for the therms
// fill in the black
// fill in the air
// fill in the silver
Running in the applet viewer the black and red Rects fill in properly but the silver does not paint unless I move the mouse cursor onto the applet. Then it paints the silver. Very strange indeed !