• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 743
  • Last Modified:

IE pages not loading

I current have IE6 installed on my pc that has been working fine for months... and no I havent recently installed any software. I can open a page and surf ok as long as its within the same window.
When I am on a page and click on a link to something that opens another window of IE up to view, the page that opens just hangs.
It never loads up and you never get a timeout. you can type the URL of the page your trying to open in the address bar of the page that is hanging and then it opens immediately. It doesnt matter what I open. I can right click on a link and choose to open in another window and it does the same thing. I have used the repair tool and it didnt help. I completely uninstalled IE and used netscape (which I have no conflicts with) and reinstalled it but it didnt help either. I have ran registry checker and sfc to no avail. Can you please help???
0
einjester
Asked:
einjester
1 Solution
 
MacrobeatCommented:
Taking it off and re-installing doesn't always cure it. Install the oldest version you can find, or even 5.0, and then upgrade to 6.0. That will cure the problem. Also, set all the security and Internet Options > Advanced to default values before upgrading.
0
 
WakeupCommented:
einjester,

You wouldn't happen to be running any Pop Up Killers or advertisement killers would you?

Sometimes those killers will not work properly and cause anything that appears to be a popup to not open but only with a blank page.  Just a thought.  Let us know what ya got goin on.
0
Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

 
einjesterAuthor Commented:
I first went to the ms knowledge base and found that this seems to be a known problem with IE 5.5 and IE6. I then ran "regsvr32 urlmon.dll" from the run command just like it said. It said if I recieved the message "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded." that the workaround worked. I then rebooted and found that it didnt work. Since I dont run any pop up killers, I then decided to do the uninstall, reinstall of 5 and then upgrade to 6 again. I uninstalled and then when I reinstalled 5, I was still having the problem. I then upgraded to 6 and unfortunately was still having the problem. I once again ran "regsvr32 urlmon.dll" and recieved the message that it worked. I rebooted and am still having the issue. This is very frustrating considering I do tech support for a living. Any more ideas are very much appreciated guys.  
0
 
eddie5659Commented:
ADMINISTRATION WILL BE CONTACTING YOU SHORTLY.  Moderators Computer101, Netminder or Mindphaser will return to finalize these if they are still open in 7 days.  Experts, please post closing recommendations before that time.

Below are your open questions as of today.  Questions which have been inactive for 21 days or longer are considered to be abandoned and for those, your options are:
1. Accept a Comment As Answer (use the button next to the Expert's name).
2. Close the question if the information was not useful to you, but may help others. You must tell the participants why you wish to do this, and allow for Expert response.  This choice will include a refund to you, and will move this question to our PAQ (Previously Asked Question) database.  If you found information outside this question thread, please add it.
3. Ask Community Support to help split points between participating experts, or just comment here with details and we'll respond with the process.
4. Delete the question (if it has no potential value for others).
   --> Post comments for expert of your intention to delete and why
   --> YOU CANNOT DELETE A QUESTION with comments; special handling by a Moderator is required.

For special handling needs, please post a zero point question in the link below and include the URL (question QID/link
0
 
eddie5659Commented:
Now I see why I couldn't post last night. One of the Mods were posting. And it looks like they've left my name in :o)

Anyway, this is what I was trying to post:

Go to Tools | Internet Options. General tab. Under Delete Files, delete offline content. Also, clear the History.

Content tab, under AutoComplete, clear Forms and Passwords.

Advanced tab, under Browsing, look for Enable Insta on Demand. Untick.
Under Security, look for Empty Tempory Internet... Tick.
Apply and OK

Go to Find Files and type in cookie. When found, open the folder, and delete all the cookies found. You won't be able to delete the .dat file found.

For this, go here and get the Spider:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=55214&highlight=Spider

Go to Run and type MSINFO32
On the left choose Software Enviroment, then Startup Programs. Copy/paste the list here.

Also, go here and download AddAware http://tomcoyote.com/lsindex.html 

Download and run, ensuring that Deep Registry scan is enabled. Remove all except any references to Web3000 or new.net. If you're unsure, copy/paste the list here.

Also, whilst you're there, download and install RefUpdate to get the latest updates. Just click Connect.

Regards

eddie
0
 
einjesterAuthor Commented:
i'll try it when i get a chance. building a website now. thx.
0

Featured Post

Keep up with what's happening at Experts Exchange!

Sign up to receive Decoded, a new monthly digest with product updates, feature release info, continuing education opportunities, and more.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now