networking head office and branch office
Posted on 2002-05-06
I'm not a network guy but is helping a friend better prepared when he talks about his requirements to network solutions provider. Hope you guys can provide some insights.
Background about my friend's business
- real estate company
- 1 head office and 5 branches
- estimated desktops in offices, 12 in head office and around 5 in branch office
- printers in offices, 2 in head office, 1 in each branch
- head office has 2 floors, 1 printer in each floor
- NOT networked at this point in time
I'm trying to do a quick proposal for my friend to use as a basis of reference.
1. How to connect between head office and branch office
so that they can share files easily?
2. Branch offices submit their excel files containing listings of property sales, rental etc...
file size is around 10500kbytes (max) and probably transfer is done at the end of the day. I would think the transfer should not take more than 10 minutes.
Does this affect the bandwidth require for connecting the offices together?
3. What kind of hardware is needed to network the individual office (LAN) and the various offices together (some form of WAN)?
4. Will VPN be a good alternative as well, given their relatively low bandwidth usage?