intranet and internet
Posted on 2002-05-18
1) I have some idea of s/w part but very little on hardware.
2) Our's is a windows NT setup with few servers and many workstations. Some 95/98/2000, unix, linux and sun solaris also there.
3) Can you give me idea of what a domain is and what a workgroup is. There can be more than one domains like one main one, administrator and others. Can there be more than one workgroups.
4) Also internet domain like bg.pa.com OR rsofto.bdtp.net AND mail domain like rsoft-tech.com. So is there internet domains and intranet domains as separate entities.
5) Can there be more than one mail servers and proxy/firewalls in a intranet. 6
6) Can we have a small hubs connecting to a main hub.
7) We have direct IP's and local IP's in systems or a mixture of both. Direct IP's have faster internet access. Can you explain the difference between them.
8) Where do modems and gateways come into play and where all can they exist.
9) Where do routers and bridges fit in in all this.
10) How is a mail server different from a proxy from a firewall.
11) Are all network operations due to hardware, protocols and operating system OR a lot more.
12) Can 95/98/2000 machines be kept in intranet easily.
13) How are unix, linux, sun solaris etc. varied operating system machines incorporated into intranet and then in internet.
14) Is there no clash over hardware to be used by such diverse systems and how these clashes are resolved.
15) What do acquiring a internet connection and account mean.
Please explain in detail.