How create FTP script on UNIX (HP) to send a file with encryption, SSH, Kermit, etc...
Posted on 2002-05-30
As of today, we have a customer (receiving point) that would like us to FTP (we send) the EDI files (ship notices) across the Internet.
On our side we have an HP-UX UNIX box. I believe the customer has Windows
2000 on the other end. If forced we could use a Windows box as the sender.
The customer would like us to FTP a file to them on a periodic basis over the
Internet. I have no issue with this.
*We also need to do this in an Unattended mode or on a schedule.
*My issue is one of security--how can we send a Secure FTP, with SSH, Kremit, SSL, etc.?
-I know nothing about how to do this or configure this, including any software we will need.
-I do know how to send a file via FTP though a command line.
-I also know how to set up an FTP server but doubt we will need that on our end as we are the sender and I hope we can get by without such.
But perhaps you have some comments on the above and below.
1. Do we use Kermit on our end to send from our Unix box?
2. Do we use SSH or something else?
3. How do we set these up on our end?
4. Then how do we do encrpty the file and send it in an unattended mode on a scheduled basis (perhaps through a CHRON job on UNIX (HP))
5. How do they (the receiver on Windows) unencrypt it?
6. What do they need on their (Windows) end in terms of software to handle our transmission?
Any other options of ease and low cost with security?
We were told that a possible option is to consider sending the file
from our Unix or a Windows box on our end via SSL over the Internet
(instead of FTP).
BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>We have no idea how to do this in an
unattended mode on Unix or on Windows.
In other words I have no clue if this is even possible in concept in a
batch or scheduled mode....................
Thanks for your time