Outlook address book problem
Posted on 2002-06-01
When my processor failed I decided to upgrade my pc with a new hard drive and Windows XP (upgrade from 98SE)
I left i my old hard drive temporarily as a slave so that I could copy all my data across.
I had not been able to carry out a proper export of the address book in outlook and so copied across all the files from the outlook area in documents and settings.
Opened up Outlook in XP and lo and behold there were all my e-mails, folders and address book which appeared to work fine. Stripped out old hard drive and gave it away after wiping!
However I now have found the problem that while I can view, select names and groups from address book into emails - the e-mails refuse to send! It just hangs forever when I try to send an e-mail using an address book name. Also I have now found that whilst it appears to let me add addresses as normal they do not appear in the address book.
I have tried "repairing" and then "re-installing" Office XP ( I was using the same version on my Win98 installation)
I do have the address book backed up to an access file - I guess but would welcome some ideas - that I may need to (a) delete the relevant outlook files so new ones are created by a repair or re-installation
(b) possibly hack some registry entries and
(c) add entries to the new address book using my access database (though I cant obviously see an import function but sure there must be one)
However before I plunge blindly into this I wonder if anyone as a simpler or different solution - Something like "change this registry key and it will work" would be well worth 150 points to me!