Sudden onset of inability to connect to internet via previously working fine AOL 7 dial-up. (Can receive and send e-mail though.) Also cannot connect to web using AOL as ISP but using a stand-alone version of IE or Navigator.
Error message is "Action Canceled - IE unable to link to the Web page you requested". Tried JUNO as different ISP with its own version of IE - "Juno was unable to initialize the components necessary for completing your connection to the WWW."
Running Win98, Compaq 300 Celeron, 128K, dial-up AOL v.7
No new hardware or software. Several suspicious e-mails but multiple McAfee virus scans negative and Sophos scan under DOS (June 2002 version) also negative.
Can ping both IP addresses and FQDNs and receive four replies from each. Got advice from AOL and Compaq. MS would not talk to me because the Windows was preinstalled.
Reviewed some similar problems on EE and followed most of the advice given (short of reinstalling windows).
Tried the following (some more than once):
1) Purged browser cache
2) Replaced AOL adapter
3) Ran IE repair tool
4) Checked WSOCK32.dll file (was ver. 4.10.1998 and 40Kb)
5) Renamed and replaced WSOCK32.dll,winsock.dll, wsock.vxd, and wshtcp.vxd (changed names to *.old and reinstalled via System File Checker from c:\windows\options\cabs)
6) Uninstalled and reinstalled DUN - during reinstall AOL said it could not find WSHTCP.vxd - told it to look in c:\windows\options\cabs and it seemed to continue to load fine. Ran a find file check after reinstall and there were 3 instances of WSHTCP.vxd; one in Windows and 2 in AOL.
7) Pinged 22.214.171.124 and got four replies
8) Pinged www.experts-exchange.com
and got four replies
9) typed URL http://126.96.36.199
and got "No page to display - Action canceled" - same with www.experts-exchange.com
10) Both AOL and Compaq's techs have given up and I have run out of ideas.
Anybody feel like giving this one a try?