[Okta Webinar] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 503
  • Last Modified:

Runtime error -2147217887 (80040e21)

I have a VB6 application which updates SQL Server7 data using ADO. The app was developed on a WinME machine and all  functions are OK. The app was packaged and deployed to a Win98 machine and the Update method generates the runtime error -2147217887. I downloaded and installed 'DCOM98.exe' on the Win98 machine but with no apparent improvement. I have deployed the app on to the original WinME machine to check on the package&deployment and the installed app performs OK.
I have read two previous EE questions and the MSDN articles Q168335 and Q168354; none of the explanations or solutions seem appropriate.
All relevant advice will be gratefully accepted.
0
Waratah
Asked:
Waratah
  • 6
  • 4
1 Solution
 
RichWCommented:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q168354

Here's a link that explains a little about your error.  Unfortunately, it explains that this error is OLE-DB not being able to explain what the error is!

There's a lot of other error information on the page, so I hope it's helpful.
RichW
0
 
WaratahAuthor Commented:
Just to add to my original question :
I am making references to Activex Data Objects 2.0 and OLE Automation.

The problem occurs (only on the Win98 test machine, not the WinME development machine) with the following code -
        !Name = txtName
        !Address1 = txtAddress1
        !Address2 = txtAddress2
        !Address3 = txtAddress3
        !County = txtCounty
        !Postcode = txtPostcode
        !Fax = txtFax
        !Phone1 = txtPhone1
        !Phone2 = txtPhone2
        !ReportDays = txtReportDays
        .Update
0
 
RichWCommented:
Upgrade to 2.7 for ADO.  Download the new MDAC file.

RichW
0
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

 
WaratahAuthor Commented:
Upgrading will not explain why the ADO 2.0 functions work fine on the development machine but not on the test machine.

I really need to know what I should add to the P&D package or to the test machine to allow ADO to operate.
 
0
 
RichWCommented:
Ok, dumb question, but I have to ask, did you load the MDAC file onto the test machine?

You can do a silent install of the MDAC_Type.exe file.

I thought you grabbed the files in the P&D Wizard for ADO.

RichW
0
 
WaratahAuthor Commented:
Not a dumb question, as a similar thought had also crossed my mind. I had assumed that the setup.exe would take care of all files.
The P&D Wizard did pick up the MDAC file (the report contained the warning about having to install DCOM98 for Win95/98 because the MDAC_TYP.EXE file had been included in the package).
I had thought about running the MDAC_TYP.EXE separately to the setup.exe . I will give it a try.
0
 
WaratahAuthor Commented:
The setup file had installed the Data Access components already.
0
 
RichWCommented:
Okay, but now try loading the MDAC file by its own installation, and then test the software.

If it runs, then the P&D Wizard isn't picking up everything.
0
 
WaratahAuthor Commented:
I have installed and run MDAC on its own with the same results as before.
Is there a possible problem with the version of MDAC (2.1.1.3711.11)?

I have noticed that the PDW does not include MSADO20.tlb when there are references to ADO 2.0 and does not include MDAC_TYP.exe when there are references to ADO 2.1. I have tried changing the references in the app from ADO 2.0 to ADO 2.1 - same result, even after changing the Setup.lst file to resolve the "Register MSADO21.tlb" problem. Is there any mileage in changing the references to ADO 2.5 (the highest available on my development machine) or to any combination of those available (eg 2.0 & 2.1 OR 2.0 & 2.1 & 2.5) ?

In the meantime, I will download SP5 for VB6.

Thanks for you co-operation and patience.
0
 
WaratahAuthor Commented:
I downloaded SP5 for VB6 and repackaged the application adding MSADO20.tlb (the app makes references to ADO 2.0), just in case. The PDW included  version 2.5 of MDAC_TYP.exe (whereas previously, it was using version 2.1). I amended the SETUP.lst file (see Q299645 on MSDN) and installed the app on the Win98 test PC. It worked a treat.
I also packaged another app, which uses ADO 2.5 (the highest version on my development PC) and deployed it on the test PC without any further additions or amendments to the package. Again, no apparent problems.
It appears that the upgrade to SP5, which included MDAC 2.5, has resolved the problem.

Many thanks.
0

Featured Post

Hire Technology Freelancers with Gigs

Work with freelancers specializing in everything from database administration to programming, who have proven themselves as experts in their field. Hire the best, collaborate easily, pay securely, and get projects done right.

  • 6
  • 4
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now