Posted on 2002-06-16
I'm thinking of getting this gigabyte motherboard (GA-7vrxp) which has onboard RAID controller (RAID 0 and mirroring RAID 1 ). I have a little knowledge on RAID but I want to set one up. Ok I'll hit you guys with my questions.
1. Which RAID is better between RAID 0 and RAID 1?
2. There are 2 IDE and 2 RAID controllers on the board, does this mean I can use all of them at the same time?
3. How many HDDs are required to set up RAID 0?
4. How would I set up RAID 0 in this case?
5. Would I be able to run RAID in windows xp pro?
6. Is onboard RAID better than PCI RAID controller card?
7. If I had 2 identical HDDs (10gig) and was to set up RAID 0, do the HDDs have to have only 1 partition on each drives? Can I set them up so that the drives have 2 partitions each and set the primary partition on both drives to use RAID?
Here's how I want to set my system up. I want to have 5 gig partition running on any RAID which will be used for storing OS and programs only. Then have another 20-30 gig for games, movie editing,etc. Not too sure if this is possible. I also have a cd-writer and a dvd rom. This is what I can think of so far. I'll add some more questions later on if I come across one.