Domain migration NT4 to W2k
Posted on 2002-07-01
I want to switch my NT4.0 network to Windows 2000. There is a PDC, one BDC, three NT4.0 and one W2k member servers and about 15 NT4 clients. I cannot upgrade both PDC/BDC because they don't meet hardware requirements I bought a new machine for the futur master DC.
How can I bring the existing user database to this W2k Server. Is the following correct:
1. setup the new machine as a W2k member server
2. remove the NT4.0 PDC from the domain (leaving the BDC as the domain controller)
3. add the W2k server to the NT4.0 domain as a domain member
4. promote the W2k member server to a domain controller (which synchronizes it with the BDC)
5. remove the NT4.0 BDC from the domain
6. promote the W2k member server as secondary DC
On the net I couldn't find migration plans for this situation. They mostly describe the case where the PDC is upgraded to W2k. I'll be thankful for any advices.