Exchange 5.5 Problems!!
Posted on 2002-07-15
Ok, need some help here. I recently re-ran the Exchange Optimizer after adding memory. Now the server won't start complaining with an error of:
The Microsoft Exchange Directory service depends on the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service which failed to start because of the following error:
After starting, the service hung in a start-pending state.
I was thinking it was a problem with the Exchange System Account even though I have not touched it. The odd things are:
1) When I log on the the server with the Exchange System Account (my default admin, rookie mistake I know, I get a lot of access denied errors. When I try to start Exchange Admin, read the event logs, etc, I get access denied. The account was not modified by me in any way. I am the on;y one who admins the server. I have about 5 family members that use the server for email, I don't suspect them with foul play.
2) When I try to change the account in which the various Exchange services start with, I get the message:
Cannot set the startup parameters for the Microsoft Exchange System attendant.
Error 1057 occurred: The account name is invalid or does not exist.
Does that message have to do with the fact that Exchange can only use the System Account that was specified during install? So now, I can only get the Exchange Dircetory and the System Attendant will start but only using the "LocalSystem" account.
3) When I try to run the Exchange Admin with ANY full Admin account, I get the error:
A connection could not be made to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer.
You do not have the permissions required to complete the operation.
Microsoft Exchange Directory
ID no: DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS
WTF does that mean??
I have a strange feeling that somehow my domin accounts got really screwed up. (another rookie mistake making the mail server a DC)
I can access the event logs with another Admin account but not the Exchange System Account (again, my primary login account).
The earlier event logs say that the account was locked out. I have account lockout policy in place to deter intrusion. The elapsed time would have passed for the lockout.
I have no ERD. (another BIG mistake).
I mention the Optimizer because that coincided with the start of the problems, although, I have the feeling it's only coincidence.
I started the process described in MS's white paper about changing the Service Account, but I can't start "admin /r"
let alone "admin".
It's an Exhcnage Server 5.5 with SP 4. I tried to re-run the SP4 Setup but got the same message as when trying to start the Exchange Admin. "DS_E_INSUFFICIENT_ACCESS_RIGHTS"