What are these cables called?

Posted on 2002-07-16
Last Modified: 2013-11-13

I've gotten a couple of macs over time (each one at a different time) and they were each connneced to their moniter using some type of a conversion cable. After I got the second Mac I saw that if I switched the moninters between the macs than the cables were not needed. Anyway, I'd like to know what these cables and the connections they use are called. Check out the pictures of them here:
Question by:adinas
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2

Accepted Solution

WIF567 earned 100 total points
ID: 7157368
PowerMac HDI45 video port to VGA/SVGA monitors (HD15), for PowerMacs 6100/7100/8100

Author Comment

ID: 7158861
OK. I suppose this is the what the smaller cable is, indeed it came with the Powermac 6100. Do you know what the other cable is?

Expert Comment

ID: 7172305
I can look for another official name.  Unofficially it is an HDI 45 breakout cable.  Or an HDI 45 to HD15/Microphone/Speaker/ADB  cable.

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Apple's Mac OS X has become an official member of the malware club. The Flashback Trojan has affected over half million Macs, worldwide. It is behavior that ultimately gets malware onto a person’s computer. Obsolete or out-of-date software helps…
Set up iPhone and iPad email signatures to always send in high-quality HTML with this step-by step guide.
There are cases when e.g. an IT administrator wants to have full access and view into selected mailboxes on Exchange server, directly from his own email account in Outlook or Outlook Web Access. This proves useful when for example administrator want…
There's a multitude of different network monitoring solutions out there, and you're probably wondering what makes NetCrunch so special. It's completely agentless, but does let you create an agent, if you desire. It offers powerful scalability …

617 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question