I have a user who has Windows ME. She has dialup with an ISP that works fine.
Here's the issue. You load McAfee, update it - everything updates.
Then you connect to internet. You click on IE (IE 5.5 sp2). It stays connected for alittle bit then disconnects and automatically redials. If you click on Outlook Express, it connects and then automatically disconnects and redials.
I checked modem settings and there isn't any setting telling it to disconnect after a certain time.
I remove McAfee from system and dialup works fine and doesn't disconnect.
I checked McAfee's site and this user has the latest build of their software.