Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 172
  • Last Modified:

Outlook 2002 / problems with changing user profiles

I think I have this titled correctly. I hope, anyway.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8200 Laptop, running WinXP. I set up the user with the usual logons, etc., including Outlook 2002.

Now, however, the user has changed logons, let's say from userA to Auser. Not a big deal, s'far as logons go. Right?

Everything (that I can think of) has been set up and changed and switched over on the server (Win2K SBS and Exchange 2K). And yes, I've changed the Outlook profile setup on the laptop so that it's configured for Auser as the Exchange Server profile.

However, because Outlook was configured originally for use by userA, when my user logs on as Auser, and tries to access Outlook on his laptop, he's told he's not allowed to log on.

Does that make any sense??

I've changed everything (again, that I can think of) on the laptop to allow Auser profile full permissions to everything that had to do with the userA profile. I've even imported files from his old userA profile Outlook.

That's all well and good, but what in the world do I need to do to make sure he's allowed to log on to Outlook 2002 and able to use it properly?

I won't even get into my struggles with trying to set up this same user on the same laptop with a profile to access everything on the laptop when he's out of the office and off the network. My fondness for XP and laptops in general dwindles quickly as my frustration mounts.

Help?
C~
0
can_dace
Asked:
can_dace
  • 3
  • 2
1 Solution
 
HendroCommented:
When the user (userA) was originally created on the Laptop, it would've created a mailbox.pab database for Outlook.

Do a search for this file, right-click and go into Properties and permissions and check who has permissions to it.

I am not in front of XP to see what the path is but in Windows 2000 it is:

C:\Documents and Settings\userA\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\mailbox.pab

0
 
can_daceAuthor Commented:
Hendro,

I just did the search - nothing. No file called mailbox.pab. I tried every variation I could think of, and still nada.

I tried tracking it down via the path you posted. Got as far as userA, and from there, it's just fluff stuff, no local settings, app. data, etc.

C~
0
 
HendroCommented:
Can_dace

I tried the path on a XP machine and I was able to find the path. Make sure your "Show hidden files and folders" options is ticked under Folder Options in Windows Explorer.

Do a search for "Outlook" and it will show you the path of your stored files
0
 
HendroCommented:
Have a look at this site for extensions:

http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
0
 
can_daceAuthor Commented:
Finally.

In the long run, we simply removed userA from the laptop, and settled on Auser once and for all. Apparently, this took care of whatever permission problems there were.

C~
0

Featured Post

Get your problem seen by more experts

Be seen. Boost your question’s priority for more expert views and faster solutions

  • 3
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now