Recommendation for home desktop or workstation PC computer
Posted on 2003-02-26
I am looking for a recommendation for purchase of a home PC desktop/workstation. I do not want to buy separate parts to build from scratch.
I'd prefer to buy a turnkey pre-built system. But I have no fear for rummaging through the inside, nor fear of upgrading components, or install replacement parts myself (e.g. memory, backup tape drive or additional hard drive, new video cards as they come out etc).
My current workstation is a Dell Dimension XPS... I am looking at Dell again, but would consider other makes.
So I am looking for specific manufacturer, make, and model. Bonus points will be awarded if you can point to actual reviews of the company and model via URLs (extra bonus points for professional reviews).
Here are some specs/requirements/desires:
1. Cost: preferably spend under $2000, $2500 max;
2. Desire well engineered case for getting at internal components easily and fast;
3. Will occassionally use to telecommute to job at one of the National Laboratories;
4. Good for running standard apps, and software developer tools (e.g. Photoshop, as well as coding in Visual C++);
5. Looking for quiet fans and quiet system;
6. Will probably *not* need to run a web server;
7. Room for expansion -- additional disks, cards, and peripherals as I use the PC;
8. Does not need to be the fastest CPU or speed now, but
8.5. Needs ability to upgrade for speed in the future -- flexible system that can be upgraded with faster CPUs (and memory if possible), as time goes by;
9. GAMING -- this machine will be used for games. Needs to be at least decent in this regard;
10. May want to run Linux on separate disk or partition;
11. Company I buy from would ideally have good reputation for customer and technical support, as well as quality of product;