Hi. I have a netgear wireless router and a motorola cable modem (with Charter cable broadband service). When I try to access the Internet through the router 80% of my requests time out.
Here is the dilemma:
1. When I connect my computer directly to the cable modem, everything works great.
2. I have tried multiple routers (different brands), all with the same result. When I try the router on our network at the office, it works great.
3. Charter has informed me that they authenticate on the Cable modem's MAC address, not on the address of anything connected to it, so I should not have to clone the address from my PC to the router. I have tried cloning the MAC address, and it made no difference.
4. I have updated the firmware on the router (per the tech's directions). Also have adjusted the MTU in the config file. No difference.
5. I am running no other software (such as firewall, AV, etc.)
The router does receive an IP from the Cable modem when it is plugged in. I have verified that the DNS it is receiving trough DHCP is correct. I have been testing the router by plugging directly into the box, NOT THROUGH WIFI - so that isn't the problem. In fact, the LAN side seems to work great - the 2 XP computers can transfer files very quickly.
The bottom line is I've spent HOURS on the phone with CHarter's tech support, as well as with Netgear's tech support. Each one is pointing at the other guy, but no one has an answer.