Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium


Adding motion to static image

Posted on 2003-03-12
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2010-04-02
how can I add "motion" to a car so that it will appear that it is moving?
Question by:markneelon
LVL 30

Expert Comment

ID: 8123162
In Photoshop? Photoshop isnt an animation program. You could fake it by adding a motion blur but the car isnt going to actually move.

Expert Comment

ID: 8123640
As 'weed' pointed out, you are better off not using Photoshop. Imageready that comes with newer versions is perhaps more up your alley.


Expert Comment

ID: 8126236
a very vague q indeed
Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.


Expert Comment

ID: 8140071
I think what is being asked is how can I make it look like the car is moving not how can I make the car move animated?

If so, you need to use motion blur and probably set the angle to 0. Then just enter the amount of motion you want. Now this will blur both the front and back of the car, what you will need to do is delete the part of the blur that you do not want (probably the front of the car), so I would recommend that you make a duplicate layer of the car image to perform the blur on and remove everything from that layer but the car, for example remove any background behind the car as you do not want that blurred.

This should put you in the right direction if I've understood the question. You may also have to play around with the layer opacity of the blurred image to blend it in with the 'still' car to look natural.

Peter Witham

Author Comment

ID: 8159460
You are on the right track Peter.  Though the result wasn't what I wanted.  What I would like to do is something like this http://www.idex.net/index.html.  I've seen similar photos to the one in the link that have cars in them with "neon streaks" from city lights (or whatever).

Accepted Solution

PeterWitham earned 80 total points
ID: 8159624
Ahhh, I get what you mean now I've seen that image. I guess to really make a better suggestion we'd need to see the image of the car. The only other suggestion right now is to selectively streak parts of the car, but seeing the car image would make it easier to translate the effect of that image on the web page to the car shot.

*** email address removed by Netminder, Site Admin ***

Peter Witham
LVL 30

Expert Comment

ID: 8160302
peter: using private email correspondence goes against the whole point of this site. Please keep it in the thread.

mark: That effect is more or less what you would get if you left the exposure time on a camera really high while either you or the subject are moving. There isnt really a quick and dirty method in photoshop for recreating it so you're probably going to have to use a combination of motion blurs, saturation, multiple layers of the same image, etc.

Expert Comment

ID: 8160356
I only mean't if mark wanted to send me the image file to look at.........other's do it so I saw no harm.

Expert Comment

ID: 8197035
Just my 2 cents, but liquifiy might also help a bit.

Expert Comment

ID: 8283896
The motion effect you would like to create
with the car is a very common thing many people
would like to do.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting the book:

    Photoshop 7 Down & Dirty Tricks
    By: Scott Kelby


Is this book it tells you step by step how to do
what your looking to do and many other cool tips and

Assisted Solution

aeternum earned 80 total points
ID: 8319760
try this, assuming you're using an immage of this size:
883 x 608, and a car inside, running from right to left. If you use another format or parameters, you must adjust it

open the Car image

Call the layer with the car "BlurCar"

Duplicate this layer and call it "StaticCar"

Deactivate the view of "StaticCar"

Select the BlurCar Layer and apply a motion blur:
   - angle = 0 degrees
   - distance = 150 pixels

Activate the view of StaticCar layer

Move the object in BlurCar a little on the right.

Select the StaticCar layer

Enter QuickMask. Be shure that the foreground color is black and the background is white.

with the Gradient Tool track a line from the half of the car to the back.

Exit quick mask

Select Layer->Add Layer Mask->Hide Selection

Now you should see the car with a blurred tail. You can paint Black on the mask on the Staticcar layer, from lef to right to show "motion" streaks in strategic points: the weels, some sign on the body of the car, and other points.

take a look at my test, expecially at the mask:

the car alone: www.canisciolti.net/public/car.jpg

the photoshop project: www.canisciolti.net/public/car.psd

hope this helps
LVL 17

Expert Comment

ID: 11712150
No comment has been added to this question in more than 21 days, so it is now classified as abandoned.

I will leave the following recommendation for this question in the Cleanup topic area:

SPLIT - PeterWitham  &  aeternum

Any objections should be posted here in the next 4 days. After that time, the question will be closed.

EE Cleanup Volunteer

Also, to Mod:

Please remove email address in post by PeterWitham. Thanks.

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction When sharing photos, especially via e-mail, the large resolution images that most cameras take today make for extremely large file sizes. The time required to upload these files to forums, send in e-mails, post to blogs or even placi…
Read about why website design really matters in today's demanding market.
In this tutorial viewers will learn how to create a postcard text effect in Photoshop and get an introduction to Layer masks Use magic wand to select the "inner" part of the letters: Create a new layer and fill the selected area with black: Go back …
Users will learn how resize a batch of photos from a single command in Photoshop via Photoshop's Image Processor. Open up an Image you'd like to resize in Adobe Photoshop: Adjust the image size according to your preferences. Image > Adjustments > …

564 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question