Can't boot: NTLDR missing
Posted on 2003-03-13
I've tried a lot of things. First if I can't resolve this problem:
Will I have to re-register xp and will it remember this is my same system (no new hardware)
I have a dual boot system 98 and xp. 98 stopped booting with the "NTLDR missing" error
1. reinstalled 98 on 1st partition (did not delete xp partition)
2. installed partition magic and boot magic to see if it could make xp run - same error
3. Following web advice, copied NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM to C drive (I assume c:\ is the root
*** could not fine the boot.ini also to copy to it also. Where is the boot.ini ?
new error now, "invalid boot.ini" although I didn't put one in, and "missing hal.dll
4. on new HD installed 98, xp, and boot/partition magic. Tried to find boot.ini on this new drive to copy to the old drive. nothing. could not find boot.ini on the xp or 98 cd either. where is it?
5. tried various exe's in dos with no success: fixboot, fixmbr, scandisk, etc.
I would really like my old system back with all my old software and hardware correctly installed as my video cap card was a pain to install correctly in XP. The new drive is not exactly the same heads& cylinders so I can't copy the whole root directory. Is the root dir c:\? or is are there commands in mbr ? Thanks in advance for help