Want to protect your cyber security and still get fast solutions? Ask a secure question today.Go Premium

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 289
  • Last Modified:

Audio distortion while transferring files..

Hie,

As usual, I turn on my Winamp or Mediajukebox OR even Windows Media Player to listen to my mp3s. While listening I then move a 700 Mb file from my C: drive to my D: drive, then IT starts. The HORRIBLE crackling and screeching of audio distorted. The same thing happens when I'm transferring any other files (the larger the file the worse the distortion becomes) from my friends PC to mine via a network switch(or a hub). Sometimes the audio distortion occurs during capturing frames from games such as making a Quake 3 movie(which really is a process of multiple bitmap screen captures and saving it to my HDD). To make it short I've tried many solutions including the infamous Via's PCI Latency patch but didn't work.

My system Specs:

Athlon XP 1800+
Abit KX7-333 Mobo (utilizes Via chipsets [KT333] )
512 DDR Ram Mushkin
2x 40Gb Seagate Barracuda IV ATA 100(Attached to IDE1)
1x 60Gb Maxtor ATA 133 (Attached to RAID controller as IDE3)
16X Sony DVD Rom Drive
Gainward Geforce4 Ti 4600 Graphic Card
Sound Blaster Audigy DE
3Com NIC

My BIOS settings were set at deafault settings. Perhaps this is a problem commonly found in VIA chipsets especially the newer KT333 chipsets. So far I've been a loyal Abit user and no mobo have turned me down but this one really had me stumped. My friend who uses ABit KR7A Raid (One version older than mine) with similar specifications didn't have this problem. Some people told me to tweak my PCI latency settings but I'm not expert enough to do that, need a little help here, thanks ! ^_^

Ross

0
laXsa
Asked:
laXsa
  • 2
1 Solution
 
PC_StuffCommented:
I could care less about points, but a couple of thoughts come to mind when trying to track down a similar issue.

You obviously have some great hardware, and I'm sure you are using the ATA133 ide ribbons; have enabled UDMA for the drives involved; updated the mobo firmware; and the latest mobo drivers.  

Did you disable any bios onboard functions that you are not using (i.e. if it has onboard sound, etc.)  Assuming those are all ok, is your swap (page) file set high enough to accomodate the extra size beyond what's still available of the 512 after XP & other programs thake their share? Is your HD defragged that you are pulling it off of?

I'm guessing this is most likely a mobo drivers issue There were some similar problems I ran into with sound and IDE bus demands with the new NF-2 mobo's that with revised firmware & software drivers completely resolved it.
0
 
laXsaAuthor Commented:
hello

I realized my question was in the wrong section, it's supposed to be in the hardware section anyway. Yeap PC Stuff, my mobo didn't come with onboard sound hardware and my paging files were set with "system managed size" settings I've tried manually setting it but I'm not sure the adequite size, the right initial and maximum size. I think youre right about the driver of my mobo being the culprit. Right now I'm downloading the VIA Hyperion drivers but i doubt it'll solve anything. Even my older PC is better off than my current one. Uh, If I were a better expert I would've raised this question's points, darn. :P

Ross
0
 
PC_StuffCommented:
Well if you have 512 DDR, a good ballpark size would be to set both the Initial & Maximum Paging file size to 750 MB which will then allow your defrag utility to now actually defrag the paging file.  This will give you about a GB of actual and virtual RAM which should perform better with a 700MB file transfer.  I still do not think that is the issue, but just answering that question.   BTW, I have 1GB of Corsair XMS PC-3500 DDR on my Athlon XP2700, and have my page file set at 650/650 mb.

The "experts" say you should monitor your actual virtual HD page file useage with the task manager utility, but on a practical basis despite knowing this, I have never been able to follow through on remembering to start the utility, or go back after thrashing around and see the results.

If your older PC is better than this, I am almost sure that it is either a MOBO driver or less likely, a firmware issue.  Make sure you have double checked using the right ide cables, and have the drives as UDMA settings, and tried to disable other non-used devices in your BIOS.  You can always go back and re-enable them.  
0
 
NWCSCommented:
ugg. I have a kt333 system with an identical issue that i have yet to resolve
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now