16 Colors to 256 Colors
Posted on 2003-03-15
I am working with a Compaq Deskpro desktop computer -- Windows 98 OS with a Pentium processor. Until recently I have been running children's programs requiring 256 colors to run. Now, all of a sudden the color setting on this machine has defaulted to 16 and will not change. You can see the setting default back to 16 colors after I click "apply" and before the window closes. Rebooting the system makes no difference.
I'm new at this, so I'm giving all the data I can find:
1) Video Adapter -- ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP (1997-1998 Compaq)
(the chip in the middel reads Rage Pro Turbo AGP 15R3DUA33 B3K35 9818AA Tiwan)
2) Attached to the main card are two chips that have SEC KOREA on them. They are covered by a sticker that says SEC
3) The Chip is listed as a Mach64:RagePro
4) The display driver is listed as ATI 3D Rage Pro (atir3)
5) The monitor is a Compaq V75 color monitor.
If I'm calling any thing by an inappropriate name or term, I apologize.
Let me emphasize ... this machine had already been running these programs for about a week, so I am assuming the machine was using 256 colors at that time.
Any help would be appreciated.