Deleting a Document ends up corrupting the View

Posted on 2003-03-17
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-12-18

I have a view which lists all the documents and the responses in a hierarchical format. The selection formula I use is
SELECT (form = "My Plan" )  | @AllDescendants

I can create documents and adds responses correctly and they show up in the view as expected.
I can even go ahead and delete responses and the view gets updated accordingly.
However, If I delete a document, I get a Notes prompt "Document Deleted" and I exit and re-enter the database and try to open the view, it displays another unrelated view (View B).

In the designer mode, I can see all the views correctly, but If I try to preview it in notes.. It displays the unrelated View (View B.

I am really confused. I then have to recreate the lost view from scratch, but I can reproduce it every single time. And I am not sure what the problem is and more importantly how to solve it.

I imagine it has something to do with document-responses relationship..but I am not exactly sure what or why or how?

Gurus, any help here would be greatly appreciated.


Question by:arask2
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
LVL 24

Accepted Solution

HemanthaKumar earned 300 total points
ID: 8153121
First thing, Disable the "Allow Soft Deletions" database property.

Second, rebuild the view indexes by running UPDALL (database) -R or by holding down Shift-Ctrl-F9 from a Notes client.

This should fix the problem


Author Comment

ID: 8182000
The view corruption was traced down to a  particular agent in the database..

1, The agent would innocuously access the view. However, the agent did not have a clause to check whether the view contains any documents.  It would retrieve the NotesDocumentCollection and try to access the first document. This approach was OK as long as the view was not empty. However, if the view as empty, it ended up corrupting the view.  And since the agent had been executed a few times before, I presume, it ended up corrupting the database beyound redemption.

2, I made the necessary changes and rebuilt the database by deleting the corrupted copy and importing the new design. And that seems to have done the trick.

3, However, just to be on the safe side, I have disabled the allow soft deletions. I am not sure, if this would help or harm. I guess, I will  find out.. :)

Thanks for your prompt reply.. appreciate it


Featured Post

What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

  In today’s Arena we can’t imagine our lives without Internet as we are highly used to of it. If we consider our life style just for only 2 min we found that face to face communication is swapped by e-communication.  Every Where from Works place to…
Sometimes clients can lose connectivity with the Lotus Notes Domino Server, but there's not always an obvious answer as to why it happens.   Read this article to follow one of the first experiences I had with Lotus Notes on a client's machine, my…
Michael from AdRem Software outlines event notifications and Automatic Corrective Actions in network monitoring. Automatic Corrective Actions are scripts, which can automatically run upon discovery of a certain undesirable condition in your network.…
This is my first video review of Microsoft Bookings, I will be doing a part two with a bit more information, but wanted to get this out to you folks.
Suggested Courses

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question