I have been searching for help on this for days. I guess its way past time to just ASK!
Caveat: I am in waaay over my head on all this. I don't know XP very well, and did not come to it through NT or 2000. I also don't fully grok the nuances of networking, so forgive me if I seem a bit dense or something at first.
OK. My situation is similar to this other posting here which I have combed through for tips already: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_20482550.html
However it is more similar to the situation he briefly mentions his friend having, than to his own problem.
Win XP-Pro Notebook and Win98SE notebook connected to Siemens Router with four-port switch, and from there, to the internet via DSL modem. The DSL works fine on both machines.
The 98 machine finds the XP machine in Network neighborhood, but the XP machine does not find the 98SE machine, although it did ONCE - after I first enabled "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" on the XP machine, which had been on "auto" (apparently auto ='d "off").
I can ping the 98 machine both by IP address and by name, but NET View gives "system error 53". (searching for that error string is what led me to the NetBIOS point, here:
It has not worked since that one time, and unfortunately I don't know what changed. I made no adjustments to the settings. Only subsequent power off / reboots on each machine, more than once.
I figure there maybe something inthe XP startup sequence that somehow reset the change I made, but the NetBIOS setting is still enabled. I then repeated the instructions from the KB article but it did nothing.
router has DHCP enabled.
Both machines are in workgroup MSHOME
XP machine is logged on to user account with administrator status.
98 machine is logged on as default user (i.e. there no multiple users configuration)
XP machine was configured by the XP NW Connection wizard using the option "connect through a residential gateway", and here are the connections that resulted:
">Network connections </a>
I have TCP/IP, NetBIOS and IPX/SPX enabled. Here are the XP machine configuration settings:
Here are the TCP/IP properties settings:
Here are the TCP/IP Advanced Properties:
From the other posting, I also added LMHosts files on both machines, and edited the browser registry key to value of AUTO, from FALSE.
TIA for any assistance in this.