Property or Method -- Which is Which
Posted on 2003-03-18
We have created many controls in the past, but recently we created a new ActiveX DLL and are having "religious" debates on whether some things are Properties or Methods. Our DLL has a collection of datapoints in it. It also keeps track of an external reference clock, among other things. The following are only a few examples. For each of the following, would it be a Property or a Method:
1) PointIndex(Name): PointIndex() is passed a name and returns an index.
2) AllNames(): returns a list of all the names in the collection.
3) PointCount(): returns the number of points in the collection.
4) SubscribePoint(Name): adds name to list so that the named point is constantly monitored.
5) PointValue(Name): reads the value of a named point.
6) WritePointValue(Name, Value): writes the value of a named point.
7) ReadPointValue(Name): reads the value of a named point.
8) Date(): reads or writes the date.
There may be multiple sets of points awarded, depending on the feedback.