CD-RW causing HD "can't read" problem?
Posted on 2003-03-22
- problem source: Replaced an old CD drive with a CD-RW as the 2nd-channel master on a new computer system.
- problem: When trying to install or run software from the new CD-RW, the computer freezes and I get a blue-screen-of-death telling me "Cannot read from drive C:". (Yes, drive C:, the hard drive, not the CD-RW!) On the next re-boot, Windows will then insist on doing a complete surface scan of the hard-drive (drive C:).
- fix attempts:
- tried both enabling and disabling DMA mode on both drives
- tried uninstalling CD-burning software
neither of the above made any difference - same problem recurred
- tried adding the old CD drive back in as master and setting the CD-RW as slave on the same (2nd) channel
didn't get the BSOD message here, but the system became highly unstable and eventually locked up
- system details: Celeron 1.7GHz, 256Mb DDR RAM, 20Gb Maxtor HD as Master on IDE channel 1, CD-RW as Master (and then as Slave) on channel 2, Windows Me, Nero Burning ROM 5.5