We currently have a Windows NT 4.0 (SP6) PDC, and a Windows 2000 Server (SP3) as a member of the domain. The WIN2K server is a file server for the domain. I want to end up with the same domain (domain name, accounts, etc.) under Active Directory on the WIN2K box and decommission the NT box.
I've looked at the Active Directory Migration Tool, but it needs to have a new domain to migrate the old domain to. I've looked at the Active Directory Wizard, but it only allows me to setup a new domain or join an existing WIN2K domain.
I assume that I need to do something like the following:
1. Use the Active Directory Wizard to setup a new domain.
2. Use the Active Directory Migration Tool to migrate the settings from the old domain to the new domain.
3. Turn off the old PDC.
4. Rename the new domain to the same name as the old domain.
1. Is this the correct procedure, or is there a better way?
2. Is there a document somewhere that spells this out in enough detail that it won't likely get screwed up?
3. Will this (or a better procedure) preserve the shares (and mapped connections to them)?
4. Any (other) issues to watch out for?
Thanks in advance.