Hi this is kind of a freaky problem...We have a TV in our bed room sitting on a computer desk next to our computer, we turn the TV on it turns the computer on as well... We turn the TV off it freezes the computers that are on, just find out that it also does this with our neighbors around the block, we turn our TV on and it turns every ones computers on...the other thing it does on turning off is it resets every ones BIOS... FREAKY HA????
Here is what I know so far....
It only does this when:
1) The TV is in our bedroom
2) Only when the pc is connected to the power (i.e. when its out of power it does not effect neighbors either...)
3) It only powers on ATX cased PC's and only manages to freeze AT cases i.e. old P75 to P233 non soft touch ones...
4) It does not effect my IBM laptop (think pad 20E)
5) Only does it with this TV and not the other ones in the house
Things I have tried and didn't work:
1) I tried supplying separate power to the TV from kitchen and still does the same thing as long as TV is in our bedroom
2) I tried taking parts out of PC example sound card, network card, modem
3) I tried using standard key board and mouse instead of wireless one
4) I tried calling the electricians...they just laughed at me...one actually came and got freaked out and had no idea
The PC, TV & environment
1) The PC is a Soyo MB, Celeron 500, with Asus 32M video 248M SDRAM, Ricoh CDRW, Pioneer DVD, HP 5P Scsi Scanner, 17" Philips 17B Bussiness Monitor Sony floppy and 56K external modem
2) The TV is a 56 CM Sharp
3) Its in our bedroom near the window on the computer desk, the desk is metal, the blinds are metal
4) other electricals in the bedroom: electric blanket, lamps, battery chargers
Other things to know
If I have my hand on the computer desk and turn the TV on I get Zapped big times and it doesn't effect the neighbors PC but it still turns ours on...
This has been going on for last 4-5 months and I just discovered the neighbors problem few days ago...
Please Explain a solution, with out the obvious... example buy a different TV or buy a new Computer etc... I am curious to know why??? Cheers