I have a PIII 866 with 512MB SD133 RAM and a Geforce 2 MX 200.
Recently I started getting these system device failure error messages. I can't be more specific at the moment, but I will post the message here next time I recieve it.
It normally happens when I launch a game (Not during actual gameplay, but during the load up screen).
It sometimes locks up for about 10 seconds, then the resolution will switch to 640x480 and 256 colours. It will give me the device failure error message and I will have to reboot to get my resoltuion back (changing it through windows does nothing until the PC is rebooted)
Anyway, I have Sisoft sandra and I ran the memory burn in test for 150 loop (about 2.5 hours) last night and it had to problems. I am not sure what is causing this. It never used to happen and now it is occuring quite often. Because it switches the resolution it sounds like a video card issue, but I am not 100% sure.