?
Solved

multiple frames....

Posted on 2003-03-29
4
Medium Priority
?
141 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-09
I'm trying to put a site together for my small business and can't seem to remember or find the code for 3 individual frames. I want "top.htm" to run across the top and then a "menu.htm" on the left side and in the remaining part the "main.htm" I keep playin around with the col and row settings, but either one part of it all leaves or it all goes together...anyone able to help...
0
Comment
Question by:zm_dawg
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 5

Accepted Solution

by:
gator4life earned 80 total points
ID: 8232803
Here ya go:

<html>
     <head>
          <title>Example Frameset</title>
     </head>
     <frameset rows="20%,*">
          <frame src="top.htm">
          <frameset cols="20%,*">
               <frame src="menu.htm">
               <frame src="main.htm">
          </frameset>
     </frameset>
</html>

The first <frameset> sets the "top.htm" page to take up 20% of the height of the window and the second <frameset> to take up the remaining 80%.  The second <frameset> sets the "menu.htm" page to take up 20% of the width of the window and "main.htm" to take up the remaining 80%.  You can change these values to suit your specific needs.

gator4life
(chomp, chomp)
0
 
LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:russellshome
ID: 8233271
The best way I find to jog my memory is to use an application such as FrontPage to create the frameset. Set it up the way you want then copy the HTML.
0
 
LVL 5

Expert Comment

by:russellshome
ID: 8233275
0
 

Expert Comment

by:alphaeternity
ID: 8233320
gator's is right if you want the top to take the whole width and the menu and main to share the rest.  if you want the menu to be the full height and the top and main to share the right side, it would be

<html>
<head>
   <title> blah </title>
</head>
<frameset cols="20%,80%">
   <frame src="menu.html">
   <frameset rows="10%,90%">
      <frame src="top.html">
      <frame src="main.html">
   </frameset>
</frameset>
</html>

as gator did, you dont have to put in the 80% and 90%, you can replace it with * <-asterix(s) which means "the rest", as in the percentage that's left (100% - 20%)
0

Featured Post

What does it mean to be "Always On"?

Is your cloud always on? With an Always On cloud you won't have to worry about downtime for maintenance or software application code updates, ensuring that your bottom line isn't affected.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Is your Office 365 signature not working the way you want it to? Are signature updates taking up too much of your time? Let's run through the most common problems that an IT administrator can encounter when dealing with Office 365 email signatures.
Today, the web development industry is booming, and many people consider it to be their vocation. The question you may be asking yourself is – how do I become a web developer?
In this tutorial viewers will learn how to embed videos in a webpage using HTML5. Ensure your DOCTYPE declaration is set to HTML5: "<!DOCTYPE html>": Use the <video> tag to insert a video. Define the src as the URL of your video; this is similar to …
The viewer will learn the basics of jQuery including how to code hide show and toggles. Reference your jQuery libraries: (CODE) Include your new external js/jQuery file: (CODE) Write your first lines of code to setup your site for jQuery…
Suggested Courses

762 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question