Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Reserved error(-1517)

Posted on 2003-10-21
6
Medium Priority
?
261 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-14
Can somebody explain what this error is?
We have a billing, payroll and reporting application that we distribute to about 250 users with an mde every 2 weeks when changes are made. Last week when we sent our new copy out, about 60 users started getting this problem in their app (possibly more were effected). When we replaced the app with the exact same copy it fixed the problem. Also a repair and compact solves the problem. The error pops up in different places accross the app. I would like more information about the possible causes so that we do not have a repeat of this issue this week when we promote a new version. I'll split points and possibly add some more, for the best suggestions.
0
Comment
Question by:iabaker
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 17

Accepted Solution

by:
walterecook earned 2000 total points
ID: 9593776
while this error is itself a bit cryptic, I believe it most often (if not always) stems from a linked table error.  That would help explain why it pops up intermittantly throughout your app.  You may want to try to isolate it though to see if it is ONE table or many tables.  If it is one there may be something quirky about a field name or something.
What is your BE and how are you connecting to it?

That being the case, I'd run some code on open of the database to refresh the links.
You may also consider checking the validity of the link before certain events, too.

Hope that helps
Walt
0
 
LVL 32

Expert Comment

by:jadedata
ID: 9594138
Hey! iabaker,

  Negative error numbers are usually generated by another application and passed back to Access for reporting.
  There should be a text explanation coming thru with the error number, and MAYBE, if your lucky the name of the app ACTUALLY raising the error.

  What external applications, OCX controls or such does this distributable play with during a runtime session?

regards
Jack
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:iabaker
ID: 9600002
hey guys,

Jadedata, it actually comes through as an error no 3000. the description says "Reserved error (-1517); their is no description for this error."

I think it is a link problem, walter. we've got some startup code that was recently put in that is changing the type of a field on a few linked tables by creating a new field with the new type, updating the new field with the old field data, deleting the old table and renaming the new. Somehow that seems to be screwing up the link in the app. I can't seem to recreate the error on my machine. I have inserted some code to refresh the links after the type change, its testing it that is the problem. Is there a way to get more information about the link. possibly a way to test to see if it is bad? I can open the table fine manually, but the code won't run on it until the link is refreshed.
0
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
LVL 17

Expert Comment

by:walterecook
ID: 9600075
Well,
one direct way to test the link in code is try to open a query based on the linked table.  Or try a dlookup on the table itself:
somevar = dlookup("someField", "theTableName")
if that line bombs, clearly it can't open the table.

Walt
0
 
LVL 32

Expert Comment

by:jadedata
ID: 9601408
Add a time-out loop of a few seconds after the changes are made to the tables in the linked file.
It may be that the code engine is over-running Access's ability to refresh the system objects tables before continuing to the code that then tries to use these objects.

Also force the change to the link before you move on to using the objects
currentdb.tabledefs("TableName").connect = currentdb.tabledefs("TableName").connect
(goofy as it may look, it could work....)

It isn't happening on your own machine probably because it knows you'll be very disappointed with it if it screws up.

0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:iabaker
ID: 9628060
It was the link that was messed up. Thanks for the help.
0

Featured Post

Veeam Disaster Recovery in Microsoft Azure

Veeam PN for Microsoft Azure is a FREE solution designed to simplify and automate the setup of a DR site in Microsoft Azure using lightweight software-defined networking. It reduces the complexity of VPN deployments and is designed for businesses of ALL sizes.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article describes two methods for creating a combo box that can be used to add new items to the row source -- one for simple lookup tables, and one for a more complex row source where the new item needs data for several fields.
This article describes a method of delivering Word templates for use in merging Access data to Word documents, that requires no computer knowledge on the part of the recipient -- the templates are saved in table fields, and are extracted and install…
In Microsoft Access, learn different ways of passing a string value within a string argument. Also learn what a “Type Mis-match” error is about.
In Microsoft Access, learn the trick to repeating sub-report headings at the top of each page. The problem with sub-reports and headings: Add a dummy group to the sub report using the expression =1: Set the “Repeat Section” property of the dummy…

609 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question