IIS 5.0 Log Entry - Status 500 on CSS and image files

I am getting a very strange error in my IIS Log file.  I am getting a sc-status of 500 for a couple CSS files and image files.  There is no entry for the error message in the the cs-uri-query column.  The pages display without error, and the styles and images display fine.  This error occurs about 50% one of our pages is called, and about once a week on 5 other random pages.  Each CSS file is used the same throughout each site on about 50 - 100 different pages.  

HTML:
<link REL="STYLESHEET" TYPE="text/css" HREF="default.css">
LVL 6
Mike_MetroAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Tacobell777Commented:
If the below does not help, go to your event log, it should provide more information on the error.

You see this error message for a wide variety of server-side errors. Your event viewer logs may contain more information about why this error occurs. Additionally, you can disable friendly HTTP error messages to receive a detailed description of the error.

There are 2 options to help you try & figure out what is going on:

1. Turn off the friendly error message option in the browser as follows:
Click Internet Options from the Tools Menu
On the Advanced tab, under the Browsing section, click to clear the Show friendly HTTP error messages check box, and then click OK.
Close the browser

2. Configure the general 500 error to use Type=URL and 500-100.asp instead of Type=Default. More information on doing this can be found on this MS KB Article: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 261200
Mike_MetroAuthor Commented:
We are not receiving these errors on the Browser.  They show up in the log only.  I tried the second option and we are still getting error 500's.

Regular error Log entry: |Line Number|Error Code|Error Description
|427|80040e31|Timeout_expired
 
Erronius Error log entry:  There is no line number stated  
|-|ASP_0147|500_Server_Error

We get this error message on jpg and CSS files, and also ASP Scripts.

BAlexandrovCommented:
Are you still geting this error?

Server Error on non-script file is very unusal. Check for anti virus software at web server (I had problems with one such)
Also check your ISAPI filters for some unusal/unneeded like Microsoft's URL Scan for example from ASP Lockdown package.
There is possibility that simply server get overloaded of requests - then it begin throw various errors (usually 404, 500)
Get Web Stress Tool from Microsoft and check-out this.

(About NOCount thing I will check it again tomorrow but am highly doubt if it get affected by how executing the sql. When used client side cursor - ado always gets all records from current recordset and calculate them and does not read such status messages, also used cursor is always Static for client cursors. Please check it again.)

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
Mike_MetroAuthor Commented:
BAlexandrov - Yeah it's really strange.  We do have a anti-virus program running, I will check the settings to see what's going on.  I appreciate the post.  

As far as the nocount thing, I have a test script I wrote to test 3 possible ways to call a stored procedure.  After executing I tested the recordcount property.  Here is a repost from what I said on the other question.

In all methods all records were properly returned, but the RecordCount property is not always set properly.

Method:  Method Used to call stored procedure (All methods use Client Side cursor.  I even tried different types of cursors)
Result 1: SET NOCOUNT ON without SET NOCOUNT OFF
Result 2: SET NOCOUNT ON with SET NOCOUNT OFF

Method: Set RS = connection.execute("exec mystoredprocedure")  
Result 1: RecordCount: -1
Result 1: RecordCount: Correct

Method: command object (Set RS = Command.execute)
Result 1: RecordCount: -1
Result 2: RecordCount: Correct

Method: rs.open "exec mystoredprocedure"RecordCount: -1
Result 1: RecordCount: Correct
Result 2: RecordCount: Correct

Thanks for the input.
   
thumpngoodCommented:
This is an old post, but a duplicate mime time host level/global level will cause this odd behavior.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft IIS Web Server

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.