System: Exchange Server 5.5 SP2 on Windows NT 4 SP6a, routing restrictions set so that authentication is required
Our Exchange Server is refusing POP connections on 110 with this error:
'the connection to the server has failed account (name), server.'(name) protocol pop3, port 110 secure (SSL) No, socket error. 10061 error number 0x800cc0e
It does this with connections remotely via the network and when testing using Outlook Express on the actual machine. We have tried running ISINTEG on the priv.edb and pub.edb files and MTACHECK. The utilities reported no error. We then tried wiping the priv.edb file (cutting our losses) and rebooting. It starts OK and creates a new priv.edb file but the same POP error occurs.