Event ID: 1058 on Windows 2003 Server

My PDC is running 2000.

On the 2003 server machine i have this error?

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=teleflexct. The file must be present at the location <\\teleflexct\sysvol\teleflexct\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

I have tried doing the MUP fix with no luck.

JIm PeckAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Have you tried the following:


Thats listed for XP, check if it helps you.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
If that doesnot work check this


JIm PeckAuthor Commented:
I tried both of those and I still get the errors..
Exploring SQL Server 2016: Fundamentals

Learn the fundamentals of Microsoft SQL Server, a relational database management system that stores and retrieves data when requested by other software applications.

also check this article, from a site which i find invaluable


The link that I had given solved the same issue .Not sure it is not working for u


Hmm let me try some more

sorry sunray didnt mean to step on your toes mate
JIm PeckAuthor Commented:
Still getting it... hmm it seems that most of those sites are targeted around WinXP computers.
I am in a Windows 2003 level domain with 2Domain Controllers running DNS, DHCP, WINS. One DC started receiving Event Id: 1058

Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={81B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=hr,DC=emory,DC=edu. The file must be present at the location <\\hr.emory.edu\sysvol\hr.emory.edu\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

followed by a Event Id:1030
This occured for about ten days. I finally got concerned and looked at the articles referring to XP SMB signing but decided not to apply XP fixes to a 2003 DC.

I'm happy to say  the errors have gone away, but I'm not sure what I did had any effect on it. Here is what I did. I rebooted the DC which was not receiving the errors. Then changed its network connection DNS setting from to its real IP address. Then rebooted it again. Then I changed the DNS network connection settings on the "problem" DC from to its real address and rebooted it. I've been error free for 2 hours.
This seems high unlikely the DNS settings were to blame, but maybe the rebooting helped. Just a side note, the problem DC is running the PDC emulator FSMO.

It seems microsoft doesn't address this error.
Here is the answer for me.  Really easy and it worked.  I have been having this problem for months and finally found it with the help of our TAM.

830676 isnt available anymore and I am having the problem.  Does anyone have a copy of 830676 or can someone verify that it was changed to 888943?

The KB I found sais there should be a random domain name in the error and my domain names are corect, not random.

I was experiencing exact same issue after I applied SP1 for server 2003.... The article indicated by astronot above fixed mine.. Thanks a stack.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Operating Systems

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.